Wednesday 9 March 2011

Test cuts & Material experiments

Using different materials for testing the product will allow me to get the right feel for the piece. 5mm hardwood adds a strong grain to the cutting process also the laser burns the type slightly which creates unease to the effect. Although the hardwood is a material which will work well if i decide to cut a shape into the wood as well it will be very thick and may not hang as intended to combat this a thinner wood would work well.











Perspects is another material that I have experimented with however because of the nature of the type it has become illegible. Also the dot work I have added has embossed deeper holes into the type melting the perspects slightly although I want the viewer to work at reading the type, this is to distorted .












3mm ply was my final experiment which was a great material to work with, the type scored well into the wood coupled with the burnt effect created exactly the desired effect for the product.
Sanding the piece will create a cleaner look for the object, the foiling process may distort the type further so for my second process I may flock the back to make the product more aesthetically pleasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment