Wednesday 9 March 2011

Distressing chosen typeface



 Code was the highest range of the survey so I decided to break the two different styles of layout to develop an idea of shape an placement. Using simple autographic techniques paper bending and screwing also adding ink.






Breaking down the type in this way added texture that was unachievable using hi fi techniques I was able to manipulate the type forms to my own specifications.
My idea is to use the texture in the trace process whaen vectorising this image so the paper will add extra depth and form.








After vectorising the image I was able to define the areas I needed for the laser cutting process. By tracing in gray scale an limiting the shades I could get a two tone image to create depth to the image although im not sure how this will affect the printing process.
I still think I will have to mount the type to allow for the delicate nature of the piece this in turn will allow me to add character and further the darkness theme. Getting over this problem? adding a simple outline shape or cutting the letters out singlely and applying them to the necklace individually 








The final product is now ready for cutting and has the obscure disgruntled look I am trying to achieve. The distressed look of the typeface gained by autographic techniques has created the the feeling of darkness alongside the nature of the text I have used. Adding the piece to dark wood will further the emotion also using a flock or foil process to add an extra layer of depth to the distress may help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment